Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Tues Tutorial~ Strip Race Christmas Bag/Pillow Cover

 

Many of you have heard of and possibly made a Strip Race quilt top or better known as the Jelly Roll Strip Race Quilt.  I like to use the same method to use various lengths and widths of strips to make a piece of scrap cloth like I did for this gift bag to present the White on White Pillows to my Grand Daughters.
 
 
 
 
 
******************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
 
Gather up strips of same width but any length. 
I don't know a way of measuring or guessing how many strips are needed.  
Possibly lay strips side by side for size of bag you need?
Sew strips randomly, end to end.

 

Find each end of the now one long strip

and lay right sides together as shown above.
 
Stitch down one long edge.

I've divided the stack in half.
When you get to the point where the strip is folded in half,
cut the strip along the fold and stitch on to the end.
Now you have a long strip that is 2 strips wide.
Again, find each end of this long strip and lay right sides together.
Stitch down one side
and sew to the end cutting along the fold at the end to sew to end.
Then you have 1 long strip that is 4 strips wide.
 
Repeat the process until you have the size of fabric you need.

 
I have made enough fabric to make 2 bags,
and the top of 2 pillow covers.


 
To make the bag

The fold is on the left, the seam is on the right.
Then lay the seam in the middle which will be the back side.
Add handles of your choice, either made yourself or ribbon.

(Find out HERE how I hyperlinked to the Boxed Corners spot in another post.)

Then I decided I had enough to make and envelope pillow cover
for the White on White Pillows.
 

The new pillow covers were tucked in the back of the envelope cover 
of the White on White pillow.

 
These handles were made from scraps.


Just another scrappy project.


2 comments:

  1. There are lots of uses for this - I'd like it for a knitting bag I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to make a bag instead of a quilt! You really can never have enough bags... xx

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.