Thursday, February 10, 2022

Thoughtful Thur 178~ 'I Found a Quilted Heart' Project

 

This is actually a tutorial, but I thought it belonged on Thoughtful Thursday and especially before Valentine's Day. You might like to have a thoughtful moment and make one of these as well with your fabric scraps?  

This site was discovered last summer on a quilting site found via www.quilterblogs.com . Its called "I Found a Quilted Heart".  On their site you can find the history of the idea, the directions, the tags to print,  the site where founders of hearts report their discovery and other info. 

Here is my process using the "Bottom of the Barrel" technique to make this quilted scrap heart. 

Note: I've applied my blog to the Quilter Blogs site probably 50 times? Still no approval. I've made sure my feed is working. Anyone have tips on how to become a part of that group?



******************
  Tutorial
******************
Here is the fabric I made, following the procedure @ Bottom of the Barrel Gift Tag: Method 2.
A paper heart for a pattern was cut freehand from scraps.
Remember to think about seam allowance when making pattern.
Not enough to make the back side of the heart.
So I took the scraps cut off and sewed onto main piece to be big enough for another heart cut out.


For the hanging loop
I cut a piece about 4 inches long.
Folded the end in
then the long sides folded to the middle
and folded in half again to meet long folded edge
being sure to fold in the other end
before top stitching along edge to end.

Pin on an upper corner of the heart. 
If sewn in the middle, you won't be able to turn the "V" shaped curve.
I place double pins to remind me where to stop and start to 
leave an opening to turn the heart inside out.
Clip curves.

I used a scrap piece of blanket to cut up to 
stuff the inside of the heart.


A little decorative embroidery hand stitching was done to close a hole.

A note when/if you print the tags.
Be sure to print in Landscape view.
The tags will be too small if printed in portrait view.
It probably says this somewhere and I didn't follow directions?

I started to punch a hole and decided because of weather,
to directly stitch the tag to the loop.
I also added another string to make hanging somewhere a bit easier.
I hung the Quilted Heart on a tree about 24 hours ago.

It's already gone! 
I hope it made someone's day.
I'd love to know their thoughts.
I hope they post their thoughts on 
 
You can also do a search for "I Found a Heart"
on Facebook 
where some foundings have been reported.


Maybe you now have thoughts of making a heart?


Mon Memory 128~100% Waste Free Heart for IFAQH

 

8 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, sweet heart! I've made probably 100 of these IFAQH hearts...all out of scraps with beads, ruffles, trims, buttons, etc. Only 3 have been reported on the site. It's not about the "reporting" part, but rather about sharing a bit of kindness and caring to someone along the way. Hopefully, yours brought that special sentiment to the finder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW that's a LOT of hearts! I guess the real important thing is that someone took it? Sorry you only had 3 reported. Its not like people don’t have access to the internet these days.

      Delete
    2. Joy, did you see that your heart was reported by the person who found it?
      Look here for the story: https://www.ifoundaquiltedheart.com/georgetown-ky-usa/

      Delete
    3. Well how about that! Thanks for the heads up Kathy. I had checked but hadn't seen it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I really have to get my sewing machine back out and start trying some of these. I love the idea of someone finding a heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to take part in this so will have to get busy and make some hearts. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had read about this but I’ve been ill/recuperating for the last year and haven’t joined in yet. I’m almost back to normal now! 🤣😂
    How lovely to see that your heart was discovered and has found itself a loving home, bought a tear to my eye!
    Thank you for the tutorial. Must search my scraps and see what I can do.
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea!! I have a friend who knits things and puts them around her neighborhood, but they are like art and there is no encouragement for folks to take them home. This seems like such a fun thing and I have loads of scraps.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.