Saturday, June 26, 2021

Quilt Shot Block 136~ Patriotic Heart Yard Flag

 

This block was designed by 

She has a You Tube video with all the measurements listed
and a great tutorial for making this heart block.
Her heart block is surrounded by half square triangles.
I just used strips.

This is another piece for the "Scraps Book Page"
as the entire banner including the back was made from fabric scraps,
given to me or found at yard sales.

Her directions are very easy to follow.
Beth said she cut up her strips as she sewed the block.
I too just cut up a bunch of strips,
but had a slightly different idea.

As I looked over the measurements of the strips,
I noticed they were each basically 1/2 inch shorter than the previous strip.
So using my cutting mat measurement tool and heat sensitive pin, I marked each end at 1/2 inch.

Then I laid the end on that mark to start sewing.

Then as the end came up on the machine bed,
I folded back the strip to the black mark
which you can barely see here,
and cut the strip on the fold.


My last piece didn't turn out to be 2½ inches, but rather 3 inches.
I marked the center of that 3 inch piece
and cut from that point to
the bottom corner of the longest red strip (as shown above.)

Then I added the bottom strip, and the side strip following the directional pattern of the fabric.
Finally I added the flag bar strip at the top,
and the backing.  
You can find the directions for the Flag Bar Strip HERE.
 
 



Happy Fourth of July to all my American friends.





2 comments:

  1. It's darling Joy! I never thought about making my own yard flag. I'll have to give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very patriotic - and I like the heart shape.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.