Friday, June 22, 2018

Fun or Funny Friday ~ New York, New York

No, I don't plan on going to New York anytime soon.
I really enjoy paper piecing.
Been so tempted to try a New York Beauty Block.
Should I?

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Thoughtful Thinking Thursday #141~ How Did Noah's Family LIve on the Ark?

The Ark Encounter believed the living quarters were top notch,
because Noah knew they'd be living on the Ark for a while.
Would you live here?
 Looks pretty cozy to me.

 Eggs for breakfast?

Would you have lived here?
Would you have kept asking how much longer are we staying here?
Was it a noisy place?
Did it smell like animals and their by products?
How did they wash their clothes?
"THINK about it."

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Wordless Wednesday #263 ~ Yellowstone Postcard Shot

In 2016, we took a bucket list trip out west.
Many places we visited were dreamy.
Such as this shot from Yellowstone National Park.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Junk Journaling ~ The Innards~ A Flip Through Signature 2

   Continuing with the Junk Journal I made for my Grand daughter.   This is Signature number 2.
    If you haven't seen the earlier posts about this journal, please check out the links below for more information.


Tuesday Tutorial Teaser

 The cover of Signature 2. 
 I would call it chapter 2, but junk journal folks call them signatures.
The UK is a font I downloaded to my computer called Colleged.
The blue piece is a section from a magazine.
I found lots of pieces in "Real Simple" magazines to use in this journal,
and especially in this signature. 
 In creating the pages with Open Office word processor,
the document format was set on landscape with 2 columns.
All the printed computer pages were coffee dyed.

Just a touch from a yellow marker on this printed clipart.
This envelope was shown on the following post with some instruction:
From real simple magazine,
directions on how to make a paper air plane.
Giving directions is one genre of writing I loved teaching.
This little piece just reminded me of my school days.
 The gray designed paper on the left is actually the inside of a junk mail envelope.
I've become more aware of the inside of these envelopes now.
On the right is a pocket made from a page from an old church song book

The small filler paper is vintage.
How do I know?
Take a look at the price tag below.
I have no idea where I got these.

Below is the unfolded sheet that was paper clipped to the envelope on the left above.
It's leftover paper I used teaching primary grades.
I loved this paper, because it provide room for children to write creatively,
then artistically illustrate their writing in the space above.
The paper is brown to begin with and just gets more brown with age.
Heat will cause it to start to crumble.

 Note cards were cut apart and fabric tabs stitched on.
 Mr. G came across these scissors below for 50 cents apiece on one of our grand yard sale-ing tours.
They really came in handy for this project only on the paper 
such as the gray design paper around the edge and the note cards above.

Remember the days before cell phones
when we carried around planners that kept all kinds of information?
I had some of those refill pages.
Just used scrap fabric to decorate. Simple.

This signature was so extensive,
I've decided to break it into 2 posts.
See next Tuesdays post for part 2 of Signature 2.
 You'll find this post at several Linky Parties
Please check them out for some great ideas.

Thanks to 
FREE Photoscape for downsizing, photo enhancements & watermarking photo
Open Office for the FREE word processor

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Quilt Shot Block #105~ Stacked Squares

Just a sample from Stacked Squares
Design is by Erica from Kitchen Table Quilting
You can find her tutorial at
Simply Style Stacked Squares Quilt
@ Moda Bake Shop 
Last week, I made what I called the "Square in Squares" block to 
start this "Stacked Squares" quilt.
As you can see, I didn't use a Jelly Roll, but my stash collection of black and whites.

 Each square was pressed in fourths.
 And cut.
I do not like to measure.

 Squares were reorganized.
The phone camera is a great tool to get a better view of the quilt.
Even seeing on the computer screen isn't as good as the phone, for some reason.
I also used the visual on the phone to make sure I stitched the correct squares.

2½ inch strips were cut to make a border.
I decided to put a 1 inch white strip between the quilt and the border.
So 1½ inch strips of white were cut and sewn together.
Again, I do not like to measure.
My backing had to be pieced from stash pieces.
The pieces were laid on top of the quilt top,
until the top was covered.
Then the pieces were sewn together.

I pinned the leader onto the batting and backing.
The quilt top is held with some safety pins on the first 2 rows.
Vanna, I mean Mr. G displays the quilt.
It will be given in his honor to his step Grand son and new bride.
Additional Quilt Blocks & Tips can be found on my 
Quilt Page

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You might like these too