Saturday, July 30, 2011

Stepping Down to Deck

It's been a slow process because the carpenter works when he can on weekends and afternoons, plus its been so hot lately.  He says he only has a couple more hours to finish steps & rails.  This house has been nothing but patience concerning time.



Before- Early Spring- Deciding to buy house

After- end of July- fence painted, new door and lowered deck with new stairs.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blind Swing Canopy

What do you do when your swing canopy disintegrates?  The last 2 summers I used sheer curtains and enjoyed the effect but it didn't help keep the rain and birds away as well.  I came across this long plastic sun blind for a $1 at the local Restore.  After I used cotton string to "sew" it on the frame, I realized I could have used the strings from the blind which wasn't needed anymore.  The nylon string would probably weather better than the cotton string.
A paper clip helped thread the string between the blinds.

I think the wood blinds would look great in some settings as well. Just enough space between the blinds to let air flow so it won't act like a sail and let the wind carry it away.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

All Hands on Deck

The previous owner added on a deck that was one step up, making it high up into the trees and didn't get to enjoy the view below that much.

So the guy that put in the wonderful french doors, lowered the deck 3 feet ALL BY HIMSELF!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sewing Room Reveal

       Still have to replace the cutting table because the kitchen table top makes the workspace to high. It fit the space but just didn't work.  Only have about 6 more boxes to put away and set up the sewing machines.  Afraid if I set up the machines, I'll want to sew instead of finishing the move.
       Just couldn't wait to show off. enJOY
   First a reminder of the room when I bought the house:

I've spent the last 2 1/2 weeks moving stuff from my old sewing room.  This was the main reason I wanted a bigger house.  I'm guessing, this room is as big as the new room but I don't have to put the office and couch in the new sewing room.  I have another room for that.

..... now a hint of the amazing perfect find @ Restore for my sewing room for a grand total of $445! 

As you can see from the old drawer tags (nope, didn't pay attention to order when I put the drawers back in), the pieces apparently came from a school library. I want to thank my dear sweet Mr. G for all the sweat & muscle he put into loading all 5 cabinets and 2 bookshelves and then carting them up the stairs to the sewing room.
   I thought it only fitting since I've just retired from teaching that I was lucky to find these old pieces from a school library.
Ironing board fit perfectly in one of the drawers.
For the counter top, used the old garage closet door that was taken down to build the storage room.  Needs paint.
The new Babylock will go here.  Picking up the old singer tomorrow from getting a tune up.  It will go back in it's old cabinet.  Took the door & leaf off the serger cabinet.  Used the leaf in the corner placed on top of braces cut out from the storage room project.  My motto:  Where there is a will, there is a way.  While men live in caves, I thank God for my Mountain top!

If you think I have a large stash, check out the "Sew We Quilt" blog's sewing stash room.