Saturday, February 5, 2022

Quilt Block Shot 139~ Floating Churn Dash

 
Floating Churn Dash

Today was QOV's National Sew Day,
when folks everywhere worked on a QOV quilt in some way.

I had signed up for a Sewing Group at our local quilt shop called Birdsong.
However, the bad weather caused it to be postponed.
Some of us did pick up a kit at Birdsong and worked on it today.
We'll take blocks made from the kits to the reschedule group sew.

The kit included directions and the already cut pieces.
You can find the directions on the National QOV site @ https://www.qovf.org/ 
Just scroll down to the 2022 National Sew Day, read more link
Then find the link to the "National Block Drive" Pattern
where you can download the pdf directions.

Line down the middle, the 1/2 inch to the right of it.
Of course leave it to me to mess up simple directions.
The first time I did this, I learned the sewing lines need to end off the red. 
Not off the white.


I am to return the small half square triangles (hst) back to the group to be used in another project.








It is a "floating" churn dash because the red triangle does not meet
the corner of the white square.
It is 1/2 inch from the edge instead of the usual 1/4 inch.
 
So when the block is sewn in the quilt the red will not meet the seam
and appear to be floating in the white. 
 


 My little sewing corner downstairs
where it's warmer.
Temperature never got above freezing today.

Happy National Sew Day everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Glad you sewed even though your group outing was canceled! I hope to make a few of these blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would no doubt have made the same misjudgment - but I'm not a sane quilter and anytime I try there are all kinds of oopsies that happen.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.