Saturday, June 11, 2016

Quilt Shot Block #72 ~ Arizona

Arizona
Elkhorn Creek States BOM (1 of 4 for June)
The "Thimble" fabric is required in every block of the month for this challenge.
The directions we are given in our Block of the Month challenge involves cutting out single pieces.  
I'm not a fan of cutting out triangles.


 I do like the challenge of recalculating blocks to a different size.
I try to make 12½ inch blocks that someday, hopefully, will make a sampler quilt.
I also like to calculate ways to make HSTs and Flying Geese if the design calls for them.


   I made my flying geese and 8 HSTs with the wrong measurements.  I thought "finished" in the directions I found meant what I needed to make the block, but "finished" actually means the size resulting in a sewn block.  So I recalculated and have given the correct measurements in the following tutorial for a 12½ inch block so you don't have to do the calculations. 


















The center is a 4½ inch square.

The rows are easy to put together,
because there are no angles that need to be matched
until rows are put together.

********************************
View as a quilt.
Interesting secondary designs are created when this block is combined
without sashing.
Linking with Connie at Free Motion by the River.

*****************************************************
Sharing at several Linky Parties including:

Linky TuesdaySew Cute Tuesday


7 comments:

  1. The timble fabric is so cute and it is fun seeing how you are incorporating it into your blocks. Oh, those calculations give me a headache. Great job showing all that went into the making of your block. Love how you were able to use a program to show the block used in a quilt and the secondary design that came from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely block. Great tutorial. I'd love to see how you quilt it. I'm coming over from the Sew Cute Tuesday linky. I'm following you now. I linked too. I'm working on a Patriotic quilt. I'm stuck on how to quilt my stars. Maybe you can come see my post and give me some pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on Sew Cute Tuesday's linky. Patriotic quilts are on my "like" list and bucket list too! Yours is VERY cute! You can't go wrong with polka dots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job writing the tutorial, and the blocks come alive when placed together, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, that's a lot of measurements! I really like the secondary design. It's spectacular. It would also be beautiful with sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came from the link on WIPs Be Gone. Arizona is my favorite state, my favorite climate (SO AZ!), and I love this block, too. I'm just a misplaced desert rat, and your block makes me homesick. You have such nice points! http://desertskyquilts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute block! Thanks for sharing at the DIY Crush Craft Party on Thursdays! We would love it if you could place a link back to us;) Hope to see your latest DIY's tonight!! www.diy-crush.com

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.