Saturday, June 18, 2016

Quilt Shot Block #73 ~ Dutch Girl or Sunbonnet Sue

Dutch Girl or Sunbonnet Sue
12½ inch block
My cousin turned over a box of quilting/craft scraps to me to see if I could put together some quilts for her.

These pieces were from her other Grandmother, a lady well known for her quilting abilities.
She had hand quilted some quilts for my Mother.
In the box were countless Dutch Girls already cut out.
So I grabbed one of Mother/Daddy's sheets, something I knew Juli would appreciate,
 and cut it up for the background of these girls.

 
When I do applique, I use iron on interfacing.
   Pinning them in place to the backing worked well.
Cutting off the interfacing went pretty fast with the rotary cutter.
I didn't interface the arms.
I started out using the open toe foot but didn't like the way it turned the corners.
So I used the regular foot. It worked great with the applique blanket stitch.  
I first set the width for 2.0 as you see with this first Dutch Girl.
I wasn't sure if this stitch width would hold in place very long.
 So I jumped it up to 3.5.
 Now that I look at these shots, I might try a shorter stitch length?
 I really love this fabric.
Looks like something that would be in stores today,
not something from 30 years ago.
If fabric that is about 30 years old is declared vintage, then these are vintage Dutch Girls.




In no time I had 4 done.
I'm pretty sure Mrs. Carter would have done them by hand,
and it would have taken much longer.

Even thought the Dutch Girl pattern can be download from various places on the internet,
I decided to trace Mrs. Carter's pattern and share.
Please click HERE for this Dutch Girl pattern.
It shouldn't matter much if you print to fit or normal size.

*****************************************************
Sharing at several Linky Parties including:

http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/

http://podunkpretties.blogspot.com/
Linky Tuesday

8 comments:

  1. Loved the photos you have taken of the pretty quilt pieces, and the close-up shot of the sewing machine foot is very artsy, really neat. They are going to make a beautiful quilt. Can't imagine stitching them by hand but I do have one made by an elderly relative and I remember being in awe of all those neat, tiny stitches. This quilt is a family treasure as yours will be I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your Dutch girls must try this applique technique but know my machining would not stay right at the edge like yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like to use the regular foot for making the blanket stitch. This stitch usually old the fabric well into place.
    Vintage or not, those fabrics are fabulous. I like the blue and orange combination. Those girls will definitely make a beautiful quilt and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.
    Thank you for participating to my Fabric, Thread and Yarn link party. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! I love how the blanket stitch turned out on this girl - something I will have to try because my hand stitching is terrible! thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great free pattern. I'll pass it on to my 90 year old mom who loves these girls. And the process was helpful, too. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone - lead me to your site - now a follower. Good luck on the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I know fabric from the 70s is called vintage, so I'm guessing that 25 years might do it. =) Thanks for tracing the pattern. I have dozens, but still never have enough. I don't know your machine, but I have found on my old Viking 500 that a 2.5 stitch length with a 2.5 stitch separation (width?) always makes life easier. 3.0/3.0 works, too, but things don't always come out as well as they seem to do with the 2.5/2.5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Susan for dropping by and leaving all your wonderful comments. They are highly appreciated.

      Delete
  7. What sweet little Dutch Girls, love them!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.