Saturday, January 1, 2022

Quilt Block 138F ~ Seven Shirt Quilt- Quilting or Tacking?

 


Seven Shirt Quilt Along- Part6

This is a series of the process of making a
quilt from 7 men shirts.

An idea from "The Thrifty Quilter" blog that has been deleted from the internet.

 

This post suggests ideas for quilting.
 
Remember before you start quilting,
make sure you have already added your label to the quilt.


 
Quilting Ideas
The original designer of this quilt
saved all the buttons from the shirts.
The buttons were evenly distributed across the quilt and tacked on.
 
However, all of the buttons on the shirts I used to make this quilt,
 had been removed by previous owner,
so I thought I'd use the button tacking stitch.
I found the widest & lowest stitch length zig-zag
 of about 5 or 6 stitches to work well.
 
Tacking is easily done on a regular machine.
I started out on my Dream frame,
but because of time used to reposition quilt,
I moved to my regular machine and worked faster.
 
Tie off lose threads,
or if you feel your machine finished the stitch well,
just cut loose threads.
 
Then of course you can quilt as you desire.
Be aware if you have a long arm Quilting friend to do your quilting,
they may not like the features from the shirts you kept
such as tabs, slits, any flat felled seams, top stitched seams or snaps, etc.
These can interfere with the machine's work,
especially computer directed stitching and break needles.

*********************
I hope you've been inspired by this tutorial
to make a memory quilt, 
clean out a closet,
or go yard sale-ing
to look for 7 men shirts.
Also, consider look for a thin blanket 
to use as batting while you're at it.

You might also be interested in

3 comments:

  1. This was an amazing project Joy - and I'm sure there are many people who will be inspired by your tutorial. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, such a beautiful quilt and even better that it's made from shirts. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.