Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Tues Tutorial~ Bottom of the Barrel Gift Tags

 

    Wait! Before you throw those fabric or paper scraps away from your Christmas projects, here is an idea for making gift tags.
 
    Yep, pull out those tiny, tiny scraps from your waste can for this project.  A totally free project except for the thread or glue if you use paper scraps.
The following tutorial is for fabric gift cards.  It will be easy to adapt this idea to paper scraps.
 
 
 
******************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
 First save boxes of tag board thickness that have white or buff color on one side.  The printed side will be covered. Tag board can be used as well.
A tag template can be made by cutting a rectangle the size you need then cutting the top corners at an angle like the cards on this page.
Here a punch is used. For this punch, the tag board still had to be cut in a needed width & length of strips. (Not what I had planned on.)



 


 Gather your strips of fabric from wherever.
 
Now bear with me. As you see this process, you'll probably ask, why not directly lay the tiny strips of fabric on the tag and stitch.  Believe me, its not as tedious this way, AND its more fun because you don't know the outcome until the end.
 
Grab an old dryer sheet. Do NOT iron this sheet. You will leave a residue on your iron and ironing surface. Even if you lay between paper or fabric, the residue still leaks through. Ask me how I know.



 You may need to iron strips if they were wadded up.
 
Lay strips of fabric side by side or overlap them on the dryer sheet.

 Cut strips the width of the tags you have already punched.

 




Use an awl to punch hole through tag and fabric.  

Cut or rip a narrow piece of fabric to use as a tie. 
Experiment to find length and width you like best.
 
  Thread the middle of tie through the hole. 
I used my tweezers.
 
 Loop ends over top of tag & 
through the middle to stabilize the tie.

Then take a look at how it turned out.
 


The more ragged the better.
Have fun with your scraps.
I LOVE this kind of project.

especially when I'm listening to a free book from 
my local library
My library offers them through Hoopla and Libby.
 


My phone is connected to a Bluetooth speaker 
Mr. G (miss him so much)
got me for my birthday a short few years ago. 
I can turn it up so I can hear it over the sewing machine.
enJOY sewing with your Bottom of the Barrel scraps.

 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Your tags are wonderful! I will have to make myself a reminder to check back to this post next December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea - so creative and unique! I have a ton of scraps so should have no problem making several of these.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.