Saturday, November 26, 2016

Quilt Shot Block #81 ~ Illinois

Illinois
Elkhorn Creek Quilt Guild
States Blocks of the Month


     As I stand at my cutting table, I can see my bulletin board.
     On that bulletin board I have placed charts for quick reference. Still a faster way than looking them up on the computer or my phone.  You can find these charts and others at Jane's Quilting.  
      I like both of the charts I'm showing today, because they show quick reference drawings to remind me how to make them.
This is one of the charts I often go to when making half square triangles. It makes 8 at one time.

 10 inch squares
Only need 4 of the half square triangles.

To make the Flying Geese I use this chart:


 Two 5¼ squares and four 2 7/8 squares.


I didn't have measurements for the center block.  I knew the center square had to have a diagonal of 4½ inches.  I know there is a formal to determine the side measurements, but I did it this way.  Actually I was still about an 1/8 inch off.

I cut my centre square 2 7/8 and should have cut at 3 inches.  The two smaller squares were ?.




********************************
to check the layout of your block.

 ********************************
Thanks to the FREE program
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures.
and making the quilt sample pictures with the COMBINE tool.
*****************************************************
Sharing at several Linky Parties including:


Linky Tuesday Sew Cute Tuesday




1 comment:

  1. That is a neat block and how fun to get an idea of what a whole bunch of blocks would look like together!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.