Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Tues Tutorial~ Recycled Jean Wood Carrier

 Last Sunday after Church and Chinese Food, (Fa, Ra, Ra, La, A Christmas Story Memory), I finally had my second and last Christmas gathering. One of the gifts I made and gave was to my Son in Law to carry in their wood.  It was made from an old pair of jeans, because that's the roughest, toughest fabric I know.  It gave my new M7 machine a great workout. Emmie did not fail me. She sewed through these layers like butter.  Although, I still took it slow and easy because of past experience with other machines I've had. Here's how I made it.
 
 
 
 
*****************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
No measurements.
Just whatever is cut from the both legs of the jeans.
 Keep the hem intact.
 
Sew the 2 pieces together leaving the hems on the edge.
Yes, you do see hems on both sides,
because I hemmed the edges first before I sewed together.
I had to rip the hem from where I sewed the pieces together
so I could work the seam.
So, I recommend, sew the pieces together first
and Flat Felled that seam.

Trim one side of the seam narrow enough
so the other side of the seam 
can fold over and under the other side.

 
Go down the direction that works best for you.

 
 
 THEN hem the raw edges of the entire piece.
Turn and stitch raw edges.

I trimmed away as much of the flat felled seams
so I could double turn the edges over.



I did use the "Hump Jumper"
that actually came with my machine
to help keep my stitch line straight.
 
I finally just cut away
 as much of the flat felled seam as possible
and opened it flat.
That worked the best.

 

Making One Continuous Handle

 Determine handle measurement x2.
Then add the measurement of the length of body of the carrier x2.
 
Cut a pieces of fabric 4 inches wide
to sew together to make the length you need.
 I didn't use jean fabric, because it was too bulky.
I had some cotton jean looking design fabric for the handles.
I used half inch seam for strength.
To be able to turn inside out,
I first made one long strip sewing each end closed.
 
Sew right long sides together
leaving an opening for turning.
My trusty turning tool
a knitting needle that lost it's mate years ago
and now been with me for years.
It's long enough and easy for me to hold
and has a blunt enough end that usually
 doesn't poke through the seam.
The end cap of the needle keeps it from going all the way in
or at least easy to grab.
The seam was pressed to the middle
so it will be hidden when sewn on the body of the carrier. 
I then had to take the seam out of the end
and enough down the side
to sew a seam of the ends together.

Then fold under again to look continuous.
I didn't worry about stitching closed.
I just pressed
and made sure this section was sewn on the body of the bag,
because sewing on each side of the handle 
would totally hide this opening.
 

I placed the strap about 5 inches in from the edge.
 
 

Then stitch all around
nonstop on the inside and outside edge
of the handle.
 
Notice the cross hatch stitch
I usually use on handles 
for much needed strength.
 
 




 
You just lay the bag open
on the ground and lay wood across
the bag.
Lay wood until you get to the point
 the handles just come together to carry.
If you're that strong. 
 
I thought it was going to be too late to use it
for their fireplace
since we've had so much spring weather,
but looks like more cold is here.

I had one of these a few years back.
I really liked not having to cradle the splintery wood in my arm
AND
I could carry a LOT more wood with one of these.

Make it as big as you can carry the load,
or a small one for children.
That used to be a chore of mine as a child.

Shared @


2 comments:

  1. Another project that I need to make!! You're going to keep me busy this winter :) Great tutorial, now I need to hunt up some old jeans.... ! I hope you had a good week and thanks for joining in on Monday This and That! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you sharing your linky. It gives a chance for some of us to get our tutorials out there. Good luck making your carrier.

      Delete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.