Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Tues Tutorial~ Larger Travel Sewing Bag


      I keep refining my storage for my traveling sewing machine to take to workshops.  Its taking a while to decide what notions and tools I really need to take with me, while being as streamed lined as possible. I don't want to throw loose items into my sewing machine bag. It keeps me constantly digging for something. My goal is to easily unpack and pack away. Also I want things easy to reach on my work table.
     I'm not one to measure well. I tend to take the impromtu route. That's how this one is made. Don't look for any measurements. 
 
 
 
  


 ******************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
 
I'm upgrading from this last sewing kit I made.
 
 
After the last sewing session for the QOV National Sew Day, I realized I was missing frequently used tools.
So I set out to make a larger bag to hold the extra items.
 
Found in my pile of fabrics given to me by a friend was this bright piece of 2 fabrics already sewn together.  In my zipper drawer was a zipper taken from a dress several years ago. It's long enough to go around 3 sides of the piece.
 
Zipper Tip: Remember you will need a bit extra length to do mitered corner around 2 corners. 
The fabric was quilted with some scrap batting that was pieced together.
 
Edge stitched all around less than 1/4 inch from edge.
I tried the hera marker method. Believe I prefer heat sensitive markers.


No matter how I try to look like I didn't want quilting to be exact,
it just always looks accidentally off. 
 

(At this point I compared the old with the new for space needed.)
 
No measurements needed.
Just cut and fold to fit the space needed. 
Audition pieces to be stored.
Pin for stitching to test space.
Take advantage of doubling fabric
and use folds for edges.
 
 
 This piece was folded in half
Stitched around edge
leaving an opening to turn 
inside.
 

Stitch down pockets when satisfied with placement.
The zipper is a brain twister.
Sew the zipper right side up
on the inside.
Because you want the zipper to face outward later.
Sew along the teeth of the zipper.
Then roll the zipper over the edge
as you see here,
and top stitch along the outer edge of the zipper.
This method finishes off the edge.
Its unlike the method normally used for bags.
Look for a more detailed future tutorial for this zipper application.
 
Above is the outside view
Below is the inside view of the zipper


Now you can see, this bag has a spot for a:
rotary cutter
2 marking pins
6x2 ½ inch ruler
Snippers/cover
Large seam ripper
3 clips
Thumb pin cushion/pins/needle
Measuring Tape
Measuring Gauge
Small Protractor
2 Skewers (my stiletto tool)
Plastic stiletto

I see I need to add a 6 inch sewing gauge
thimble

A piece of scrap fabric is tied to the zipper pull
 to make it easier to hold and pull.
 

The ends of the zipper tape overlapped to finish the edge.

The length of this zipper worked out perfectly for
the 3 edges of this piece. 
Remember you have to miter 2 corners
so you'll need a bit more in length for that.


Amazing how much more the doubled space helped.

Fits very nicely with the machine in its bag.
 
Along with large white spool thread
Thread stand
12x6 quilting ruler
12x12 cutting mat
extension cord
along with the machine's peddle and plug
The machine feet, screw driver, extra bobbin and tweezers
are in the front pocket of the bag.  
 
I'm ready to grab and go. 

This impromtu method
could be used to make any size bag 
to hold any group of items.





 

3 comments:

  1. That's an inspired make! No matter how hard you look it's rare to find a perfectly tailored pouch for sewing supplies so making one yourself is definitely the way to go. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite the sewing engineer. Looks great and very functional.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.