Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Tues Tutorial~ 2023 Christmas Postcards with Free Dove Embroidery File

 
For the past few years, I have embroidered a Christmas post card for all my Church Family and for the family and friends I mail a card. 
 
You can find them here and some of them also have free embroidery files. 








*****************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************

First I used Open Office Writer, a free program
to format a card. 
The font you see here is called Curly Stars
which was downloaded free from DaFont.
I was able to print 4 cards per card stock sheet.
My favorite way to cut apart
is the same as cutting fabric.
This rotary cutter is used only for papers.
Notice it is the smaller size.
I dedicated it for paper, because I rarely cut fabric with it.

 
I retrieved Ms. Ellie from the closet.
I do wish I had a place to set her up permanently.
She is still good at embroidery,
but man, it's a heavy chore to move MC and set her up.
Both are monsters for me to lift.

The 5x7 frame is set up with painter's tape
as you see here.
The sticky side faces up.
The card is held by the sticky part of the tape.
It centers nicely in the frame as the corners of the card
touch the corner of the frame.
I had to maintain a long thread to start.
The bobbin thread always had to be pulled up
to start the stitching.
Even at that, 
sometimes the first 2 or 3 stitches might skip.
I don't know if it was Ellie the machine,
because she is temperamental
or how I wrote the file.
About 5 cards out of 50 didn't work.
The cards that were mailed,
were folded cards.
Notice how they lay in the frame.
A bit backward.

 
When the embroidery is finished,
carefully push the card out from the back,
and press down the next card. 
 
I made about 50 post cards 
and a dozen cards
in about 4 hours,
but I'm slow.
With the 2 sets of all occasion cards as gifts,
a lot of cards were made last Christmas.
Hopefully, you can download the
which I made from a free black line master
with my Master Works Embroidery Software.
I had to delete a lot of stitches,
to make this a 1 line stitching file 
that card stock can handle.
enJOY!
 


 

1 comment:

  1. 50 cards in four hours? Slow?? I think not!!! I used to make all my cards but at some point I gave up on it and went to boughten cards. I'm thinking about starting to make them again. Over the past two or three years I've been making fabric postcards that I've been tucking inside a few regular cards and I'm thinking that maybe I will just make the postcards and forego the cards. I'd have to buy some envelopes though because I don't feel safe sending just postcards in the mail.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.