Thursday, January 4, 2024

Thoughtful Thurs~ Cow Pad from Last Year's Christmas Gift: Hot Pad That Is

 

At the last minute,
 I thought I'd make my Farm Daughter 
a hot pad for her kitchen.
 I started to do a chicken then thought, 
they raise cows on their farm.
 Dogs are the only other animal resident on their farm. 

Last Christmas she gave me the Lori Holt, Farm Girl, Vintage 2 book. Now, I've never idolized, adored or ooo,laa,laa ed over any artist, singer or author, but I must say Lori Holt stuff is cute. I'll buy these things when on a super sale or at a second hand store. I don't even like to watch the LH You Tube videos because I feel like its a constant sale show especially at the beginnings: You can buy this and buy that. That's just what I think

However, I did give this book a hug when I received it. I know it wasn't a cheap purchase for her.  

Then I never got around to using it all year. So I thought when I had a few hours left before time to exchange gifts, I must make her a hot pad/potholder with one of the patterns in this book. 
 
I also don't go by many quilt patterns. I make my own. In this case I made myself follow directions up to adding a border.
I gathered the fabrics I thought I'd use.
 
I thought I'd use the pattern for the 6 inch block then add a bit of a border to make a nice size hot pad.  Wow! I did not think I'd be cutting 3/4 inch squares! That's TINY! Do you see the "I" blocks above are smaller than 1 inch.

 

I measured with 2 other rulers I thought would work, 
before I ended up using this ruler. 
The other rulers drove me nuts by adding a quarter inch on the edge
 or leaving off measurement marks in the middle.
You need every little mark when it gets down to 1/8 inch.
But really all of making the hot pad,
I thought,
was very enjoyable.
I've got a great machine that doesn't require a leader (search that for quilting)
because it doesn't jam the beginning of the fabric down into the hole.

 
A 1.5 inch border was added all around.


The top looks off skelter. 
It's actually just not laying flat. 
However, my daughter is like me.
If its off a bit, its just more country looking.
 
I thought I'd stitch in the ditch around the cow for the quilting. 
Below is the back result then.
 

 She liked it like I thought she would.
Glad I went ahead and got it done.
 
What do you think about a Cow Pad? 
What do you think about stitching 3/4 inch squares? 
I think I'll make another hot pad using another pattern in this book.







2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I wonder if your daughter was hoping you'd make the whole quilt when she gave you the book. Either way, there are lots of fun designs to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you are correct. She's got the first quilt I made for her out of necessity when she went to Conversation Camp in fifth grade. Then she's acquired more since then, one from one I made for an auction.

      Delete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.