Thursday, May 2, 2024

Thoughtful Thurs~ Manly Baby Bib

 
It's that time again.
It seems baby showers come in clusters.
It's time to pull out my muslin bib patterns of multiple sizes.
Now that several people make quilts,
I turn my attention to other things
using the scraps that people so thoughtfully give me.
 
I've always said pulling scraps together is the same as
an artist getting a color pallet ready.




Pieces are sewn together in crazy crumbs quilt fashion.
 
Lightweight interfacing is cut from the pattern.
It is used to determine size and layout of fabric,
then ironed on when the "new" fabric is large enough,
and cut out.
 
Then a second side is made for this "reversible" bib.
The cut out with ironed on interfacing
is laid right sides together on the second piece just made.
Then the pieces are pinned together.
I don't waste my time cutting out the second piece.
I just stitch.

A quarter inch seam is used
leaving an opening on one side.
 

The piece is then cut out with an eighth inch seam 
except for the side opening
where a quarter inch seam is left.


Turning the piece inside out and 
pressing along the edge
seems to be the part that takes the longest.
Top stitch with a 3.0 stitch length just less than a quarter inch
from the edge all around the bib.
This is why the quarter inch is not trimmed away from the opening
so as to be able to catch the seam and close the opening.
 
Add a hook/loop tape fastening
to just one side.
It will close regardless which side is being used. 
This doesn't work as well with buttons and snaps to be reversible.
Also, I've observed Mother's using buttons, snaps and hook/loop.
It seems hook/loop is the fastest in/out fastener.
TIP: if your hook/loop backing is very sticky,
try using alcohol [or finger nail polish remover] to clean needle
immediately
after each hook/loop piece is applied by stitching. 
Saw this tip on a Janome You Tube
I should make a stash of these.
Don't know why I never "think" ahead to do it.
 
 ******************************
Other "Joy's Jots Shots" Baby Bib links:

 

3 comments:

  1. Ah - I love the bib but most valuable is the tip about removing the residue from 'sticky' on your needle. I think you can buy alcohol wipes at the dollar store which should do the same thing. I think I would be tempted to cut them into smaller pieces and keep the remainder in a small zip loc bag so they would go further. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - it just occurred to me that you could embiggen the bib size and make them for adults in nursing home situations too.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.