Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Tues Tutorial Tips~ Where I Keep Thread

  ******************

 Tuesday Tip

******************
Within reach of sewing machine chair.
Box lids are helpful to keep from rolling around.
Bobbins are pinned to spools.
(I have not had problems with thread shredding.) 
Lots of thread old, but still very strong, especially the polyester.
 
*I was so lucky to find these old library pieces of furniture at a Restore,
and best of all had Mr. G to help load them
AND unbelievably move them upstairs by himself.
It amazes me when I think about it.
I think I paid about 30$ each piece.
 
The overflow went into the button drawer.
I hit close out sales and friends gave me their supplies.
and part of the common color stash I bought online for a good deal.

Another drawer next to my machine.
Mostly my Mother's thread which is high quality,
and very strong. 
These are especially ok for projects like the Scrappy Cards & Tags.
 
The MOST used threads are right behind the machine. 
I have to stand up to thread the machine,
so this is an easy place to store them.
(Machine needles, varying eye glasses and special scissors are in the drawers.)
To the upper right of my work space at my sewing machine chair,
are these neutral threads and special thread like the 
embroidery bobbin thread. 
My arm range is limited, so I have to stand to reach.
 

An investment I made when I moved here in 2011
with my brand new embroidery machine.
Upper right and lower left are embroidery threads.
Away from direc sunlight,
plus I use sunlight darken curtains. 
Some still have plastic wrap.
Upper left is sewing thread.
One storage rack was bought online and came with the thread.
The other rack was found at one of our long yard sale trips.
Notice on the left on the top black shelf
are common color serger threads.
They are placed right over the serger.
 
Other serger thread colors and back ups, both serger and large cone sewing
 are in a pull out section
of a cabinet to the left of the spool drawers. 
Large spools of various types of threads are here as well.
 
It's hard for me to store my fat quarter size fabric folds
on these bottom shelves of this former CD/DVD shelf,
so I placed large thread cones here.

 
When I found a mother lode of embroidery thread,
mostly not opened
at a thrift shop in Florida,
I had to store them on a shelf in the 
quilting room.
A basket help holds thread so 
I can stack them and
 pull down and take a look.
*******************

Last week, I began the super slow process of cleaning out
Mr. G's bedroom he stayed in when he spent the nights, especially on weekends.
It's been over but a short 2 years since I lost him.
I only spend about 15 minutes at a time putting things away
and I'm trying to do that every day.

So who knows where thread will land then?

4 comments:

  1. Cleaning out his room will not be easy, but you can do it a bit at a time. Reward yourself with a footbath or glass of wine - or both! Your creative space reminds me of my mother's sewing room. There were collections and treasures in every nook and crannie! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me in every nook and crannie. I plan to see a lot of smiles when they clean out my stuff that I enjoy having.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, but I have a huge case of thread envy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a good organized chaos. Love seeing all those beautiful colors. I stacked some spools of thread I found unused in a bag in my window and wasn't thinking - realized I probably weakened it with the sun exposure.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.