Thursday, March 24, 2022

Thoughtful Thurs 183~ Not Waterproof Enough for Labels

 

 
I have been using these very expensive pens, in my opinion,
for probably the last 5 years
to make my quilt labels.
 
 I truly believe quilts, especially those made specifically for someone else,
or that hold memories as in a Memory quilt made from clothing or other fond articles,
should be labeled.
I gained this appreciation after my parents died.
As we went through their collection of quilts,
we knew they had stories of my Mother using our clothes as we grew out of them
or ruined them.
We knew some were made by grandmother's and aunts.
I knew one was pieced by my Dad when he was a child.
He said his Mother made even the boys stitch pieces by hand during the winter
to keep them out of trouble.
****************

When I retired and started making quilts again,
 I would try to remember 
to use my machine features to make a label. 
Sometimes I just stitched a name and date on border or even the binding.

As I go through my online quilt gallery,
I see the first label I show using these pins was in 2017.

This was on the Game Quilt.
I started making handwritten labels,
because I wanted to tell more information than just a name and date.
 
 
In the last couple of months,
I've come across a couple of quilts I have gifted,
and discovered the labels had faded so badly after their first wash
that they couldn't even be read anymore.
I had used these pens on these labels,
because they clearly say
 "WATERPROOF" 
and
"PERMANENT"

 
Am I the only person that didn't know I was not to use these on labels
that would be washed?
I'm so upset,
I felt I needed to tell others 
DO NOT USE
on any project that will be washed.
 
I have kept hard copies of my labels,
so recently, I was able to write over & redo
a label made a year ago.
This time I'm trying "Sharpie" fine point.
I remember those pens in college days
never faded from our underwear 
that was washed very often.
NOT JUST ONCE
 *******
I thought paying for expensive pens would work?
I guess I thought wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - this is good to know! I thought those pens were wonderful but obviously not. I usually print my labels on the computer but they end up on wall hangings that won't (hopefully!) be washed. If I were doing a bed quilt I would have been tempted to use these markers so I'll have to remember to embroider the label to be sure it has staying power.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.