Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Tues Tutorial ~ Plannning/Laying Out Hexies to Sew

     I thought I'd be able to just pull hexies out of the box and just sew on the next one. It didn't take me long to find out that a plan had to be made, because I was ending up with gaps where a Grandmother's Flower would not fit into the Garden.  So a plan had to be made.  Here's what I did.
 
 
******************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
 
First lay out the flowers where you want to to be in the quilt.
I do realize a Grandmother's Flower Garden puts white/solid color
between the flowers.
 

Look for the beginning and end of sewing each flower.
The clue is both beginning and end are the end of the road for stitching.


I start with the number 2, 
because the number 1 can be hard to find in print fabric.
Number the beginning hexie where the next sewing will start.


After all pieces have been numbered,
stack the pieces,
starting with the last piece
to the first piece on top of the pile. 

enJOY your organized hand stitching of hexies.

 


5 comments:

  1. High five to you, Joy, for figuring out the trick to getting these little ladies connected!
    It's looking beautiful, just as a flower garden should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thanks to you. I've really enJOYed this project on very cold days curled up under electric blanket. It will also be my project to carry to Sit and Sew instead of carting my sewing machine.

      Delete
  2. Good thinking! I still haven't decided on a setting for all those 'flowers' I made a couple of years ago. It's bugging me that they're sitting there because I don't like having UFO's lying around. I don't have enough to make a full-sized quilt without buying more fabric and of course the ones I used are no longer available. Thought I could just scatter them on a white background but nope - looked awful. Methinks my Grande Plan of having a full-sized quilt is going to dwindle to something lap sized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Grandmother's flower garden can be anyway you want it. But what a treasure to put all these blocks meticulously together. Hooray for getting the project organized and planned. I am sure it will all be downhill. Handwork is sooo relaxing. I have enjoyed hexies in years past.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.