Friday, May 15, 2020

Fun Friday ~ Masked Blessings


While I have received a ton of thank-yous verbally and by card,
I don't think people realize what a blessing it was for me
to make masks during this terrible, scary, boring time.
It gave me purpose to get up every morning.

It certainly made 8 weeks stuck in the house fly by.

Because it involved sewing which was fun, pleasant 
and soothing.


I've listened to about 8 audio books thanks to my local library access to Hoopla.
Presently I'm listening to Gilbert Morris' Appomattox Saga Series.
I love Morris' touch on religion while telling the history of the Civil War
with love stories mixed in.




Masks were made for VA facilities, nursing homes, the local hospital, my mail carrier & sub carrier,
school bus drivers delivering food in the neighborhood,
folks going back to work at Toyota and other businesses,
and of course simply for family and friends to just go get food and meds.

 In return several of those people brought groceries to me.

 Both of my daughters are essential workers,
one being a nurse that wears a mask every work day anyway,
and the other daughter a rural mail carrier 
that travels dusty roads and needed multiple masks a day.






I added tags with information on how to use and maintain the masks
using information from the CDC.gov website.


Masks were made for cousins from my Aunt's fabric,
and from my Uncle's shirts.

It took a full 6 hours to make the first two.

Then the next day I struggled to get 6 done.

By about the 6th week, I had developed a slip knot that used a tie half the length.
I was easily making 20 masks from cut to finish in 4 hours!
Those are the ones you see in the first four pictures above.
 
 Masks were put in zip bags or pre-virus day shopping bags with names.

Then placed on my old rustic porch chair which became known as 
"The Masked Chair."
Via a text message folks were told they were ready,
and I was given instructions when to set out the masks.
People walked or drove by to pick them up.
Some of the times I was able to see people I hadn't seen in a long time
from the other side of my glass door.
It was so hard not to hug.
Some masks were mailed thanks to the help of a great friend, Shanita.
Several sent back a lovely thank-you card and message
along with a gracious gratuity. 
I didn't charge for the masks because 
Lenita, Patty, Nadine and Carol gave me fabric for the cause.
I was blessed all around.
 Through all of this,
there have been a lot of Fun Fridays
making over 600 masks.


 





2 comments:

  1. The mask you've made are blessings to so many Joy. I've just started making mine and find the folded with ties the most comfortable - and easier to breath when wearing them. I have many more to make to improve on ease of putting on/off and your many photos have given me some finishing edge solutions plus using the ties along the edges and not ironing the pleats will simplify the work. Glad you shared them today.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have blessed so many people Joy and bless YOU for making so many masks. I thought I'd made a lot at just over a hundred but you certainly have sewn rings around me!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.