Saturday, November 11, 2023

Quilt Shot Block 161~ Candy Striped Holly Star Variation for a Veteran's Day Flag

 
Candy Striped Variation

Original Candy Striped Holly Star Designed by Sarah Thomas

Pattern PDF: BH5 – Group 1, Block 9 – Candy Striped Holly Star
Moda blog post: Group 1, Block 9 blog post
Instagram: @sariditty

 

 As the USA on Nov 10 (11) 
honors those that have served 
our country
 in the Armed Forces
Thank you to all the Veterans for your service, 
especially those in my family and dear friends.

        I have followed Moda's Blockheads since Blockhead 1. Recently, I found Blockhead 5 Facebook Group and joined so I could see participants' beautiful creations and keep up with downloading their free patterns. Never know when you might need a free pattern?
        Then, last week, I was trying to plan a yard flag for Veterans Day when BH5, Group 1, Block 9 appeared! Even though the block was intended to be for another Holiday, I adapted. I didn't intend to reverse one half of the block, but it happened and I rather like how the stars are holding hands. I hope the designer doesn't mind. 

         This was a paper pieced pattern and of course I used the "No Tear Paper Piece" method found HERE.
            I crazy pieced various scrap fabrics that had been given to me after Quilts of Valor had been finished. I keep sewing fabrics together to the size to make a yard flag. In this case I started with the Candy Striped Holly Star Block and worked out from there. 
            Then, I cut rectangles of paper to decide on the size of lettering that I free hand cut. Turned out 2 inch letters worked. I then ironed on light weight interfacing to white fabric, cut into the 2 inch squares from which I cut the letters.  The "S" is the only one I have to Frixon pin write the letter to cut around to keep me oriented. I get turned around every time on that one.

I actually got brave enough to use the Free Motion Foot to sew on the letters. The stitching isn't perfect, but sure got the job done in about half the time it would have taken using a regular stitching foot.



      You can find the rest of Block Head 5 Blocks HERE.  They came out every Wednesday. I understand they aren't done yet, but have paused and will be back in January. 

 Honor your Vet today if you haven't already.
 

This post was shared on the following linkies:

8 comments:

  1. Yes, THANK YOU to all VETS
    I visited you via You're the STAR - Week#2 CREATIVE (November 2023)
    I linked up this week with = 62+63. Hope you will join us M-S SeniorSalonPitStop and W-S #WordlessWednesday. You will find both under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a great veterans day flag - I see you are doing some foundation piecing too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Vet holiday flag. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should celebrate out VETS so I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little flag. Thank you for sharing in my Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful flag to make for Veteran's Day! Absolutely perfect. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/11/08/wednesday-wait-loss-353

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks nice, turned out great! Thanks so much for linking up at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 32. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post was a true gem. I appreciate the effort you put into it!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.