Monday, October 16, 2023

Tues Tutorial~ Scrappy Fabric Bible Table of Contents Bookmark

      Yes, probably most people today read the Bible on their phones.  However, some of us still like to hold hard copies of books in our hands including the Bible. I will admit, when I need a quick reference, my You Version Bibles help me find it quickly. 
       A couple of years ago, I decided it was high time that I learn all the books. The young children were outdoing me. It took about 2 years, but it certainly helped me when I need to find a passage in the Bible. 
       Not many people have memorized the books of the Bible, so many times they have to rely on the Table of Contents in their Bible to find that book not so often read.  The other day I saw a ruler that had the books listed on it. That led me to the idea of a bookmarker that had the list AND the page number found in my Bible, thus saving time from flipping to the front of the book. So I made a few to give to friends at church and wherever. Thought I'd share it here along with the sheet that I had to revise several times to make the size needed.
 
*****************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
This post was featured on 3 Linkies.
Please see links below.
The first ones I made were rather large and 
I sewed the scrap fabrics right on to the cardboard. 
 
I didn't like how I had to stitch on some of the lettering.  For such a large marker, it shouldn't have been so cramped.  So I stopped sewing for the day and went back to the "drawing board" which was my Open Office Spreadsheet program. I resized the lettering and added very small columns and rows just to use for the stitching area.
    I also reminded myself that I had learned when making cards to create a "Master Board" like the Junk Journal people do with papers. I used fabric softener sheets that I keep stored under my cutting mat to flatten and have ready on a moment's notice. I don't like to iron them directly because they leave a residue on my iron that turns brown and I cannot get cleaned off.  
    As you can see here, one dryer sheet will now cover 2 markers.
 
It's amazing the difference between a size 12 and 10 font can make. Most Bibles are a size 9 or smaller. I also added a very tiny column to the left of each marker for sewing. 
Still when I cut the first bookmark, I realized I didn't add space at the bottom for stitching. So as I cut the rest, I added this small margin across the bottom and top. I went ahead and made these cards, but I did go back to the spreadsheet and add a bottom space on the one I have for you to download below (a jpg).
 

Just 1 swipe of glue down the center not touching the edges where I would be sewing. This is just to hold the piece of paper in place while stitching.

 
It's hard to see, but these fabrics are laying on top of the dryer sheet.  I laid several out, then stitched the raw edges to make sure they are held down.
A completed master board.
 

Without thinking about what's on the front, just lay the bookmark on the back of the master board saving as much space as possible.  The fun part about using master boards is you don't know the complete look until you've turned it over to see what you cut out.

But first before cutting, sew around the edge.
 





 

Some fabrics are a collage themselves.
Another piece given to me,
but I know its been common in fabric stores.
Each person copies the page numbers
from their Bible's Table of Contents
on to their book mark. 
Depending on the size of the Bible
You could add a paper clip 
with a piece of scrap fabric looped  into the top of the clip.
 
Now,
enJOY researching in your Bible.
Go find Habakkuk in your Bible. 
*************************
Here is a picture of the spread sheet you can download
and hopefully print out clearly.
Revised 11.13.23 to correct omitted Joel
and
provide 4 instead of 3 bookmarkers.
Print landscape. 
 
To download the jpg below,
Right click on picture
Save image as 

 
You can email me
to get an Open Office spread sheet copy.
 
*********************
Shared @
 

 

9 comments:

  1. Nice idea. I like how you worked through getting it to the size that you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever!!! I wonder if it might be a thought to laminate the lettering part? Writing the page #'s in would be a challenge but not everyone would want to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just write the page numbers from your Bible's Table of Contents. Yes, it would be hard to write them permanently if its laminated, but it would last longer if you could laminate after numbers are written. Good idea.

      Delete
  3. I like this idea and I like how you designed it. You said most read their Bible from their phone, right? It's amazing to me that although young people are all about their phones and computers, my grandson reads his Bible while holding it in his hands! I told him there were a couple of really good Bible apps. He's not interested, he wants it in his hand or on his desk when he's reading and studying it. I just think that's awesome, especially since he's a young person, you know? Anyway, thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 134. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son is like me. I'd rather hold that hard copy of a book or magazine in my hand. So glad to hear he's interested in reading the Bible no matter the form. I'm guessing he doesn't need this bookmark.

      Delete
    2. I pretty much read everything online these days as does he but a good bookmark or a few for our Bibles is a must have.

      Delete
  4. Joy, CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 135!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing the tutorial on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/25/wednesday-wait-loss-351

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful project Joy - thanks for sharing (and I was so happy to come across your post today) - hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.