Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Tues Tutorial~ First Son-in-Law's 2023 Birthday Card

 This year I'm sending out more cards to people I love and am blessed to have as a part of my family and family of friends. My cards always try to depict a part of the person's life.
  This card went to my first son-in-law I received a few years back.  He enjoys fishing and hunting. He also likes to venture out into cooking. 
 







*****************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
 

I now always start with a base of some kind,
 to be my canvas 
or working area.
This is a used dryer sheet
 that was ironed flat
 between 2 pieces of paper
 to keep the residue off my iron.
The pattern is the to be card
which is a half sheet of card stock
folded in half again.
For most of my cards
I usually have a picture or clip art in mind.
This idea just came out of my head.
First a black skillet.
Keeping in mind the size of my "canvas,"
pieces are sketched on paper
then cut to use
as a pattern.
 I'm glad I've kept my
very old
much smaller pins
to use on these tiny pieces.
Can't believe I used to 
pin dress patterns with those.
 
I only had odd pieces of the forest fabric.
So, in the background tiny pieces
of what is still left from one
of my Dad's shirts
were used.
Also, love how the fabric 
gave texture to the fish.
Sometimes things like that just
pop up
begging to be used.
Since I now use a "fabric canvas"
made of dryer sheets,
scraps of plain interfacing,
embroidery stabilizer
or light weight fabrics,
the entire piece of work is stitched on
around the front face of the card.
This keeps the inside of the card
clear of working stitches.
******************************************
 
Hope my SIL had a Happy Birthday!
He sent me a thank-you text
and compliment.
Always glad to know if they got the card 
in the mail.

 
 

5 comments:

  1. That's cool. I struggle with masculine-themed cards. I'll have to make a note of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious to know if you send your cards as they are or do you put them in an envelope? I'm always afraid to send them without an envelope for fear it does damage to the post office equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mail them in envelopes that I make myself with one sheet of paper and glue together with a glue stick. I do have 2 methods now. Your question has made me realize I should make a tut about how I make my envelopes.
      However, the Christmas Cards that were mass produced were made not to open, but were treated like postcards and thus were not put in an envelope because they weren't mailed, but rather put in the mailboxes in the church lobby.

      Delete
  3. Very cool and I am sure greatly appreciated! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative, Joy! What a fabulous idea and guaranteed to make the recipient feel special! Here's to a healthy scrap stash and all the fun possibilities that it holds!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.