Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Tues Tutorial~ 2022 Christmas Cards

       Every year I have made the Christmas cards to hand out at church.  Here is this year's card and the process I used to create them.  
 
       You could say it is an upcycled project because a piece of a shear curtain was used to make these cards. enJOY
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
*****************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************
To start designing the card,
  pieces of paper the size of the card
were used
 for designing space.
 

 The size of the star was determined 
and drawn 
as well as determining the size of fabric needed.
 
I spent far more time than I imagined
just drawing a simple star that would be stitched.
I poked holes at the intersections,
so they could be marked on the card
with a heat sensitive pen.
As my sketched design above determined,
a larger than 3 inch wide blue strip
 and a larger than 2 inch wide white (shear curtain) strip were
cut, overlapped and stitched.
The stitching was rough to imitate 
a snow scenery.

 Pieces were roughly cut larger than the 
folded card stock
that was cut from half sheet of card stock.
The star imagine was laid on top of the card
and the heat sensitive pen
marked in the holes.
 
 
Then I was able to stitch from one hole to another
without drawn lines.
A gold top thread and white bobbin thread were used.
My spools of gold thread were bought way back
several years ago.
I hear the thread is better quality these days.
I had it to shred a few times.
I quickly learned not to let my thread cutter
cut the thread, and instead
pull the thread away from machine and cut.
This enabled the machine to start with longer threads
which it liked doing better.
When the thread shread and broke,
it was better to do a total rethread.
Yes, it was a bit fussy,
but the job was done patiently.

The card was then trimmed of excess fabric.


The free Open Office Word processor
was used
creating 3 columns
to make the following
Bible verse to sew on the card.

 

The piece of paper with the Bible verse was stitched 
across the top and bottom in white thread.
After the black dots were ironed away,
then the card was closed and stitched
around all four edges in white thread
making the card become like a post card that
would not need an envelope.



 Do you know how hard it is to 
photography sheer fabric
without it looking blurred?




1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely design and using the sheer curtain was inspired. I'm sure your church family was delighted with your gift.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.