Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Low Carb Strawberry Dessert UPDATE

   The first update for this Low Carb Strawberry Dessert I posted back in 2012 recipe is the name.  Mr. G has started calling it "Strawberry Surprise" because it's surprising that he's allowed to eat something that tastes so delicious.  It has been a very popular post. Pinterest folks really seem to be interested.
    About a month before Thanksgiving, I found out I had to go even a step further in the complex carb, no white stuff diet I've followed for about 15 years and even cut out the complex high fiber whole grain carbs or take an outrageously priced medication. Since I like to do more fun things with my money, I decided to eliminate whole grain breads and some veggies like sweet potatoes.
    For our Thanksgiving feast, I checked the numbers again on some ingredients and foods and came up with a revision for this dessert to go just a bit lower carb.
******************
Tuesday Tasty Tutorial
******************

The first change was to use full fat sour cream instead of Greek Yogurt.
Even though I used the lowest sugared yogurt I could find,
none of them beat the carb count in sour cream.
Note that low fat sour cream has more carbs than full fat.
Same for the cream cheese. Low fat cream cheese has more carbs than full fat.
You might even check different brands.
Study those labels.
That's why I'm not giving a carb count here
and we all sometimes can't find the same brand names.
I've also switched to Swerve (erythritol). (not an advertisement)
which some claim studies say is healthier than Splenda (sucralose).
Erythritol doesn't have any side effects for us
and doesn't seem to raise our blood sugar like sucralose.
Swerve makes a confectioners (powdered) sweetner
which keeps the cream mixture smooth. 
Above you see ingredients for a small recipe for 2 people
to place in an 8x8 dish.

Strawberry Surprise (Low Carb)
by Joy
Blend well-- I used my standing mixer.
A food processor works great for silky smooth texture.
1 small carton sour cream
1 package of cream cheese
Approx 1 cup of confectioners sweetener or adjust to sweeten sour cream. 
Place in container and chill well

Use 1 cup of water to dissolve
1 small box of strawberry gelatin (raspberry is ok)
After gelatin is dissolved, add about 1/2 Cup cold water
and 16 oz of frozen chopped strawberries.

Pour gelatin mixture on top of very chilled cream mixture.
Chill till set.

The reason you see bits of cream cheese in the picture above
is the cream was not chilled well.
Tasted great anyway.

 So while on Thanksgiving day most had my favorite pecan pie and pumpkin pie,
we had "Strawberry Surprise."
If you check out the original recipe, you'll see this recipe came about from
what folks call the Pretzel Salad recipe.
We also had carb free Super Simple Deviled Eggs and mashed cauliflower 
with the green beans and meatloaf.
We were stuffed.

***************




2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that looks yummy! I too am low carb (keto). Thanks for sharing your recipe. This will be perfect for Christmas Eve Dinner with the family. I bet even those high carbers will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look good! Would look so impressive on a Christmas dessert table, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.