Thursday, June 13, 2024

Thoughtful Thurs~ Repairing USA Cuff

 

A friend asked me to repair a cuff 
that had stitches to break on the cuff
when he was simply laying out
the shirt after a washing/drying
and smoothing the sleeve with his hand.
He pulled a bit on the cuff,
and about a dozen stitches broke.
He said his parents gave him
this "expensive" shirt
and wanted to see if he could repair it.
He had yet to wear it.
 
Sure it was a simple fix.
I could have just slipped it under the needle 
and stitched the 2 inch section.
However, the magnifying eyes
a seamtress has 
sees
when that stitching overlaps
at the beginning an end.
The overstitching to me 
I THINK
is like flags that say,
"Look here, a repair has been done!"
 
 So I first pinned down the entire cuff
with my vintage small pins.
Then picked every 5th stitch or so
to take out all the stitches.
By putting in the pins first,
It was easy to make sure the cuff overlapped the sleeve.
I didn't need to take the second row,
which was only decorative.
It did not hold the sleeve.
 
Then I stitched the cuff again.

 
As far as I could tell
there was no construction error.
The sleeve was enclosed a full 1/4 inch
and had not frayed at all.
So the accident had to be from
bad thread,
or the machine had skipped some stitches?
I THINK.

Then I looked at the label to see where it was made.
I expected overseas where most of our ready made clothes,
even expensive ones,
are made.
This label said,
Winter Haven, Florida.
 
Come on USA,
we can do better?
Just my THOUGHT
 
Thankful I could fix it easy.



3 comments:

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.