Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Tues Tutorial~ Upstyling Blue Jean Shirt


 I saved all, about 5, of Mr. G's blue jean shirts because I believe they NEVER go out of style. Since I was able to wear them, I kept them. Lately, it seems everyone has a blue jean jacket except me. I'm seeing all colors and shades of blue jackets. So I took one of the shirts and altered it a bit to "upstyle" it as seemingly a jacket.

Note, he was a passionate football fan, especially SEC, Go Big Blue. I saw no need to take off the badge. I think it had to do with the slogan of that particular season. Memories, yes.

 

 

*****************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************

 A vague picture to try to show the shirt tails.

When deciding where to cut off,
be aware of where button/button hole lands
and give seam allowance and band space.
 About 2 inches here.

From the piece cut off,
cut a 3 inch strip.

 Notice how far below the button I cut off the piece.
Then sew to the new bottom
RIGHT side of strip 
to WRONG side of shirt.
You do need a machine not afraid 
of sewing through thick layers.
 
Measure 1.5 inch
 fold UP to the right side
to hide seam.

 Pin to hold in place
Top stitch along edges for desired look
with 2.8 to 3.0 stitch length.
You may want to use thread that matches present top stitching. 

 



 Now the tails are gone.


The great thing about this is you're able to
cut the shirt to the desired length.
 
So if you can't find a jacket,
go find a second hand shirt and
"Upstyle" it! 
 
********************
This post was shared @
 

 

5 comments:

  1. It looks really nice, Joy! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea, Joy! It's especially sweet when it's a sentimental shirt that you can wear and make it look more feminine. I've been looking for a second-hand jean jacket to add a lone star quilt block to the back. Since I haven't found the right one yet, I may start looking for a jeans shirt and use your idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your idea to add a quilt block. I've been toying with the idea to use another shirt to make a jacket on which I would slow stitch fabric scraps of the various projects and quilts I've made. A wearable journal if you will.

      Delete
  3. Good 'reno' of a beloved shirt. Reading your comment to Kathy above, I like that idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've altered the shirt to make a jacket. I have an old denim shirt that I've been patching up lately because it's so well-worn - the collar has a bit of doily on it to cover the fraying. It does come in handy as a lightweight jacket and would probably look nicer if I finished the bottom like yours. I did buy myself a jean jacket a few years ago and believe it or not, it's gotten me through the last two winters - I don't like a heavy coat.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.