Saturday, February 18, 2012

Muslin Chandelier Shade

 You'll find this post at several Linky Parties. Please check them out for some great ideas.
Last fall I bought a used light fixture & painted it, but football season came and it didn't get installed (tongue in cheek).  So recently, I'm sitting in Ruby Tuesday admiring their shades on their ceiling hung light fixtures.  My "light bulb" came on with an idea to use until I get my "new" light fixture installed.  Next day, I'm putting something away and see a piece of Momma's muslin, maybe formerly a feed sack, and things began coming together.  I love when that happens.

  I first turned on the light for an hour and the glass shade never got warm. 

 Since I didn't have a good way to measure the shade, I just pinned up the sides of this piece of muslin and slipped it over the shade.  I was just winging this as I went.



So I stitched up the selvage edge, folded over the tube about 5 inches short of being half and iron pressed on the fold.
Laid the string in the fold that was pressed, used the cording foot and a wide, long zigzag over the string.




Folded it, slipped it back over the shade and pulled the string to gather it at the top, tied it off.



 Hope I've caused you to have a brainstorm to turn your "light bulb" on.  enJOY.

17 comments:

  1. I love the vintage look of it. It looks like it was pretty quick to sew up too! I love when projects come together like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! I never thought to 'slip cover' a chandelier! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Completely changed that dated light fixture and gave it a vintage look. Love it. (Here from Inspire Me Monday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting me via the Sunday Social blog hop! I am now following you via LF and looking forward to following along. I hope you will link up to my brand new party tomorrow, Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I'm doing a little blog hopping and I'm a new follower here now. I blog at stacey-nicole.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought to do this! I don't sew, but this looks pretty easy to do, thanks for the idea and tutorial. I like it! Found you at Sunday's Best Party, My 1929 Charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous!
    I am your newest follower and would be honored if you would like to follow back. no hard feelings if not :-)
    have a lovely day
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the vintage look of the light now, and love how you left the edges raw. I would never thought to "slipcover" a light, but it sure turned out lovely. Great idea! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it! Terrific idea - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for that light! it looks lovely!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that was so easy and made such a great difference!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! It looks so natural with the edges raw. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun way to update a chandelier. Thanks so much for linking your project to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. That came out beautifully, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea. I just have a ceiling light and need to get something like this. Thanks.

    Please visit me at Dogs and Grandkids. I am having a Folk Magazine giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous, and simple idea! Love it! I also see that you love plants as much as I do...I bought 4 at Meijer today!

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all fell into place very nicely, Joy. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.