Saturday, July 11, 2020

Quilt Shot Block 119 ~ Chloe's Sunbonnet Sue Baby Quilt

My friend's grandmother had cutout 
enough Sunbonnet Sue patterns to make probably a king size quilt.
Unfortunately, she had to leave this earth before the quilt was made.
So my friend asked if I could use the cutouts somehow to make
a baby quilt
for her new niece to be born in September.
I love these kinds of challenges.
Impromtu with hoping serendipity kicks in.
So here is some of my process:
 Fabric selection.
All fabrics had belonged to Mawmaw Florie.
 I turned under edges which wasn't easy,
and machine stitched.
Machine blanket stitch didn't look great and
fabric seemed like it would fray quickly
which wouldn't hold well for a quilt
I suspected would get washed frequently.
Those ladies sure did choose hard patterns.
Notice the bottom of the dress is not straight edge.
After I finished, I realized I should have stitched with interfacing and turned inside out.
Ribbon border.
I thought had enough contrast via checking with picture on phone.
Later, I don't think the contrast was prominent enough for a ribbon.
Talk about a project that can twist your mind,
this one does it.


 Perfect timing for the request to embroider the name.
I first embroidered on the fabric,
then cut the strip.
*****
Update: To answer a great question from a comment below:
I asked my friend if she favored a font.
She sent me a picture of a font she had bought to place on the wall.
Looking through my files
I found the Curlz font that somewhat matched her font.
It had been downloaded for free fromt
The Sew Forum
which requires a free membership that does not bother you with emails.
Please do a search in the "free embroidery" section for
Curlz font.
There is more that one and one can be found HERE
After unzipping the file,
I have to use my software to pull in each letter where I can slightly resize. 
 Scrap binding.
I used one dress cutout to put a piece on each side.
 This was a quilt as you go quilt with the outside strips
added to the batting-backing layer.
The large Sunbonnet Sue block was too large not to have some more quilting.
I was in the mood to add the large hand stitches.
Not near as big as Mawmaw Florie would have used I'm sure.
 A lot of times I forget the label and have to add afterwards.
Not this time.
(some of the names have been deleted by Photoscape software.
  Messed up the looks of stitching lines.)



 Oh, and another dress cutout was used for one round of corner stones.


I hope Baby Chloe enjoys
her Great Grandmother's quilt?

4 comments:

  1. That's beautiful, and even better because you used up craft materials which might have been wasted. A question about the "Chloe" stitching. Did that font come with your machine, or is it an add-on? If so, where did you get it, please

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing! This is going to be a much-loved heirloom I know. I can't imagine the math it must have taken to get that ribbon border to work out correctly. Boggles my non-sane quilting mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for the math on something like this either. That's why you see I have laid it out. In this case, I kept sewing the strip and cut it off where I thought it would not mess with the eye too much. I do my binding the same way. I'm lucky to have a sewing table which I expand about a foot in width by sliding the cutting board and laminate layer. I just lay out my couch size quilts so I can lay my pieces to get an estimate.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Printfriendly