Monday, January 27, 2014

Woven Fabric Heart

    For some reason this idea popped into my head as I went to bed a few nights ago. 
     Have you ever made a woven paper heart pocket?
     I've decided if you can make it with paper, you make it with fabric. 
Featured @ Nap-Time Creations Totally Tutorials Blog 4 You With Love Party Thyme


                         ******************************
Just Google or Pinterest woven paper hearts to get a pattern you like.  
 This pattern came from here.




 Cut 2 of each fabric and a padding.

Fabrics right side together on top of the padding.


Stitch all around and trim curves.

 Fold in half, cut lines according to pattern.
Turn right side out through one of the slits.
 Single stitch along each edge then zig-zag.




 These shots may not explain well.
You can find a video on "YouTube" to give you a better visual for weaving.
I wasn't too satisfied with how I made the slits and zig-zagged them.  
So here is my second method.
Also, I wanted a bigger pot holder.
I increased the pattern 230%.


This time I stitch around the edge, but left an opening on the side (notice the double pins to tell me where to start/stop).
Turn right side out.
Top stitch (4.0 stitch length) around edge to disguise where you stitched the side closed.
Mark the lines for cutting.
Using the machines foot edge and markings, I zig-zagged equal distance from the marked lines.
Looks like super sized button holes, and turned out much neater than the first method.
A few stitches along the last square to make sure it stays together.
 Stitched on a loop.
I like this size a LOT better.


Some more ideas for this woven fabric heart:
*A pocket, of course, to present a gift or hold anything.
*Don't pad it and stitch as a pocket on a garment or

Can you think of another use?


**********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page

22 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Joy, I love both of them! I bet you could use the smaller one as a tea pot cozy for the little small tea pots, looks like it would be a perfect fit! Stay warm! Big hugs, ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute and what a great tutorial!! I remember making them out of paper! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am surely pinning so that I can make sometime soon. It may not be for Valentine's Day but it will definitely be a project that I'd love to try and soon!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I'm hosting a link up party if you want to link up

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is too cute!!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remembered, too, making this paper heart with my cub scout troop years ago and decided to do a no sew burlap one here http://plumperfectandme.blogspot.com/2014/01/burlap-woven-heart-basket.html This pattern is so versatile that I'm thinking of other ways this may be used. Your potholder turned out fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever idea, Joy! Definitely thinking outside the square by taking paper weaving to fabric weaving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how great that you just used the same pattern as for paper hearts! These are just beautiful!! Thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire! I've featured this project in my fabric weekend features and shared it all over the social media world. Would love for you to spread the word as well and pop over to check it out! EMily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous idea for a pot holder, and it's perfect for the upcoming Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tutorial newbie here from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made a paper woven heart pocket but I am loving this one made from cloth. Very pretty. Thanks for linking it up to Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's adorable! I love the woven look! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! Such a clever idea to repurpose a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this idea in crochet and now it's a fabric heart. How cute! Thanks for sharing at CAL link party, your lovely project is featured :)
    http://www.mazkwok.com/2014/02/crafting-along-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Just stopping by to let you know that I featured you pot holder at this week's Submarine Sunday party!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Joy - your lovely project is featured at this week's Inspire Me Monday party at Create With Joy!
    If you could add us to your list of parties, that would be awesome!

    Have a fabulous week!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute, I got a similar heart for our Secret Santa Swap last year, although mine was out of crochet.
    Thanks for sharing your tutorial on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party this month.
    I look forward to seeing you again in the next month's linky.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are really cool! I love how the woven fabric looks! Pinning! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute!! I've made the hearts with paper but never thought to make them with fabric, what a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my Round Tuit post this week!
    A Round Tuit 349
    Thanks again for linking up to A Round Tuit Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.