Tuesday, March 24, 2020

My White Bean Cooking - Today's Modern Version

I might have fixed pinto or white beans on the stove top once in my life.
When I was in about 6th grade, my Mother started working a public job. My Dad worked mostly on farm and when there were tobacco or hay jobs, the neighborhood "trading work" guys came over.
So Mother had to teach me how to fix that meal, which was not a light lunch, to feed these hard working farmers. I'm talking meat loaf, mashed potatoes, cornbread, beans and whatever else came out of the garden.
The lesson for pressure cooking beans stayed with me forever. 
It was much faster, but had to keep an eye on the cooker so as to turn down heat and turn off so it wouldn't burn or blow up.
I only had one to pop off a seal and I think it was dry rotted?
I LOVE today's electric pressure cookers, commonly known by a brand name Instapot.
I can leave it alone and not worry. 
It's also 100% quiet whereas the old pressure cooker made a racket of noise. 
So here is my revised modern day bean prep directions. 
Note that I dont use the typical 6 qt. cooker.
I found the quart and half works fine for me.
 Sort and rinse dried beans well.
 Place in pressure pot container.
Add plenty of salt to soften water.
I have about tablespoon for quart of water.
This will be rinsed away later.
 Use enough water to cover beans about an inch over.
After you've made several pots, your instinct will learn how much water your beans will soak up.
My pot came with a glass top.
Love that feature.
Cover the pot and turn on to keep warm.
Mine is automatically timed to keep warm 24 hours.
Soak for about 3 hours or more.
*I have also used a cover pot on the warmer eye of my stove top for this step.
At this time, I go to sewing room.
After about 3 hours in the sewing room, 
I checked my beans and they were swollen
and some split. They're ready for next step.
Trying not to cool down the beans too much,
rinse them VERY WELL with HOT water.
ALSO, rinse out the pot they were in.
After years of trying different tricks,
I found out some of the stuff that causes
indigestion pain 
(you know what I'm talking about)
are rinsed away at this time.
Using the saute feature on the pot,
at this point I cut up about 3 (9 for large) slices of bacon into pieces 
and saute to render fat.
However, Mr. G had saved bacon fat from his breakfast bacon and I used that.
Return rinsed beans to pot
 with bacon pieces & fat.
Add salt (remember you rinsed it off)
and pepper to taste.
Cover with water according to how soupy you want your beans. 
I knew mine would swell more so I more than covered. 
Not as much steams away as old pressure cooker.

I steam for 30 minutes while most recipes I believe say 15.
I like my beans very soft not still holding shape.
 When I took top off
 After I stirred them up
Dished out a bowl and salt & peppered more to taste.
This time I put a tablespoon of salsa on the edge.
Salsa reminds me of the "ketchup" Mother used to make to eat with beans.

Beans are a hot commodity these days.
Can hardly find a bag on the shelves.

Enjoy!

This post compiled with my phone.
Took forever.
Dread buying and setting up new computer.
Since its 10 years old and its Windows will soon not run certain things,
guess I gotta get a new one.
🤔

1 comment:

  1. These look good! We don't have a hot pot or pressure cooker but Resident Chef does them on the back of the stove. Takes longer but same result.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.