Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Repurposing Plastic for Quilt Motif Practice

     Another thing I usually can't throw away are those real nice plastic containers that sheets, bedspreads & comforters are packaged in, especially if they have a nice closure.  I finally found a use for one last week after I viewed Quilt It: Pointers for Choosing a Quilting Design on You Tube. 
 A set of queen sheets came in this nice bag.
 I cut out the 2 frames with the wire bound edge. 

 The 40 inch zipper was a bonus.
Strong enough to use in a jacket or purse.
 The pull is especially nice for a purse.
Then how did I repurpose the plastic for quilting?
 Well I pulled out a wet erase marker which will only come off with a damp  cloth. Meaning it won't rub off onto your hand or the fabric.
I practiced drawing designs on my whole cloth quilt.
The wire bound edge made it easier to handle the plastic.
**********************************************
  ****************************************
Thanks to the FREE program

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures.

6 comments:

  1. this is awesome! I'm all about living consciously so I love that you found a way to use something again :) great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I always save those plastic zip pouches too. I often use them to hold projects that I am working on. The blocks and cut pieces go in there until I sit and work on that project again. I love this idea though and will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea to keep the plastic, which is always thick for those bags. Great idea to use it for practicing and finding the right motif. I never thought of keeping the zipper. Sometimes, you need a fellow blogger to realise you've been missing something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it hard to throw these plastic thingo's away too. I tend to use them for storage to keep dust off stuff but now you've got me thinking outside the box. I've included this in my Earth Day round up http://www.purfylle.com/2016/04/36-earth-day-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.