Monday, October 31, 2022

Mon Memory 140~ Memories of Grandma C's Bread Pudding

 

When I was a kid, when we went to Grandma and Grand Dad's,
she usually had bread pudding.
I recall she put in her leftover morning biscuits, and
"light" bread, with a lot of vanilla flavoring.
I can't remember cinnamon.
It was sweet, but I still didn't care for it as a child.
Over the years, I've tried many versions on buffet bars 
that included a white sauce.
I even took a cooking class in New Orleans once
where Bread Pudding is VERY common.
The chef gave many ideas of variations.
The idea that stuck with me and I tried as soon as I got home,
was to add a package of Rollo caramel candies.
Oh my goodness! So good, but very rich.
I never made it again?
Over the years, during this fall season,
I've come to really appreciate the spices of this time of year.
Recently, I had an entire loaf of 35 calorie bread 
that had sat in the fridge until the top dried out.
Thus, time to experiment on making a low calorie bread pudding.
Well, I immediately messed up the calorie part with
a stick of butter.
Still I did cut calories.
Here's the non-exact ingredients
I put together to bring back
 Grandma's memories of 

Bread Pudding.


Melt stick butter in 8x8 pan at 350­°F in oven
 
10 slices of bread cubed
 
In another bowl mix well
2 eggs
1 C half and half
2 T cinnamon powder
2 t nutmeg
2T vanilla flavoring 
1 C low to no calorie sweetener
 
 Blend in bread cubes until saturated

In another bowl blend well
2 eggs
1 C half and half
 
After butter has totally melted 
pour in bread cube mixture 
pat down
then pour the second 2 egg mixture over.
 
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
or until puffy, browned and bubbly.
 
Second thoughts:
Use 8 slices instead of 10
Double the amount of cinnamon and vanilla? 
Since my kitchen didn't smell strong of cinnamon, I don't believe I used enough.
Use the amount of half and half, cream or milk to saturate bread.
It did have a stronger taste after sitting on counter top for 24 hours.
Best if reheated in microwave.
Don't think Grandma melted the butter. She probably greased pan with lard?
I didn't use biscuits like she did. I know that would add a different taste, texture. 

What's your favorite bread pudding?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Bread pudding was a hot topic in our house growing up. It was my father's favorite that his mother made but my mother tried and couldn't satisfy him with her version so she never made it again. Same thing with rice pudding. My grandmother died less than a year after they were married otherwise I know my mother would have had her share her recipe. I have lived deprived of a childhold memory.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.