Lydia's Tshirt Quilt for Graduation
I said I'd never make another Tshirt quilt after my first
which was my last.
It was so heavy with a layer of batting and backing,
thus so hard for me to manipulate.
Too much time and money was spent on using
light weight interfacing
only to have it give me tremendous fits
breaking my thread when I quilted it.
After some thought, FB quilt group discussion & a few You Tube Videos,
I decided to save a bunch of time using my serger,
no batting and no cotton backing.
I divided them into shirts with nothing written on the back
and those that did have something.
Using my 12½ inch ruler,
I quickly cut straight through both layers to the backon the plain back shirts.
and the back for the back of the quilt.
If something was written on the back
and didn't line up with the front,
then I cut up the side to cut
front and back separately.
The front and backs were laid out together.
So what you see here is actually the front and back of the quilt.
I decided on the serger which I used in making knit garments years ago.
The serger differential feed was set on 1.50
A 4 thread 3.0 stitch was set.
(I used scrap tshirt fabric for testing the stitch.)
At this point, I made adjustments to make sure the edge came together
which didn't happen in the picture above
making sure it wasn't in the path of the needle
The right sides of the front and back were placed together
and serged around the edge, again using a ton of pins.
About a 10 inch opening was left in the middle of the bottom gray square
in which the quilt was turned inside out.
I stitch a 1/4 inch topstitch with a stitch length of 4.0.
Light gray thread was chosen.
I also did an extra hand stitching to finish off the opening.
while I could still get through the opening.
Seems like I never can remember to add this to the back
before I put the layers together. Duh....
A girl of my own heart will be off soon to become a teacher!
I forgot to show a picture of the back of the quilt.
Lydia sent me a picture to post.