Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Pillowcase Dress from Grandpa's Shirt

    A grandpa handed me a well crafted shirt made of high quality fabric and asked if I could fix it.  Here are some shots of the process of how it was "fixed."













******************
Tuesday Tutorial
******************

 The fabric at the tummy buttonhole had unraveled.
The shirt laid on my to-do pile for a couple of months,
while brainstorming some ways to fix it.
When his grand daughter came to visit,
I decided it could not be repaired but
could be worn by her.





 I didn't have the measurements of the grand daughter.
I used this chart to help decide the
 size of arm hole, band width across the chest, & length of the dress.
I made this 1 page chart in my OpenOffice Word Processor
using information from a smaller jpg. chart you can find at














However, I wanted to keep the shirt tail hem,
so a tuck was made around the shirt like our mother's made in any dress
while growing up, so the length could be readjusted as we grew by letting out the tuck.
The tuck took the length up according to the chart.


This is how the bad buttonhole was hidden.

 Made use of the contrasting facing on the back yoke.







Fold top to make channel for ribbon tie.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You might like these too