Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Paper Guided Stitched Graduation Card


      I've made some quilt squares using the paper piecing technique so when I was trying to come up with an idea for another scrappy stitched card, this idea popped into my head. I haven't seen this technique used anywhere.  I didn't even know what to call it.  The term "paper piecing cards" was already taken, so I'm making up this term.  If anyone out there knows a name, please share in the comments below.  Meanwhile, enJOY making some cards this easy way.






***************************************

*A Tutorial Tuesday*
**************************


 First search the internet for some free clip art
that fits your card's theme.
Look for simple outline or silhouette pictures.
I got this one @
I downloaded the graphic, opened it, file, print
and the above picture is what I saw.

To downsize the graphic to fit my card
I chose the 3.5 x 5 in.
I only printed one, but I could have printed 4
by changing "Copies of each picture" at the bottom of the frame.
*
The following shots pretty much show the directions.

 (Above) Outside front
Each card is half an 8½x11 inch tag board sheet which is folded in half.
(Below) Inside back of front
 Set up machine for "Free Motion Stitching"




 Microfiber cloth helps wipe away fuzz and thread pieces.



 I turned the card so I could see where I would be stitching.
This is what the card looked like when I let the machine do the cut offs 
and did not pull the threads through.

 After snipping away the ends,
some of the stitches went missing.



I made the second card by pulling the threads through at
the beginning and end of each stitching.





 Much better results when tied off in the back.
 I trimmed this one different from the first.


Now to cover up the busy work.



I used the regular pressure foot to stitch around the edge
on the front of the card.





EnJOY making your next
Graduation cards
or any card for that matter.
The world of free clip art is your limit
or
draw your own on the back?
***********************************************
Also check out:

Paper Guided Stitched Birthday Cards

**********************************************
Info about making an envelope
       The envelope can be made from a template using one sheet of paper that works perfectly with this "half page" card. Just do a web search. Some are PDF files. However some are jpeg (picture files) and if so, right click on the picture & download as an image which will print on a full sheet of paper. Use that as a template to trace around, so printer ink doesn't need to be used every time you make an envelope. No resizing should be needed to print. I used the ruler & rotary cutter to cut out 6 at a time.  Use a glue stick to hold.   (info updated 4/21/18)
***************************
********************************
  ********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating the icon used on this page

2 comments:

  1. Oh this awesome!!! Great idea to use up tiny scrap pieces of fabric! Thanks for sharing at our DIY Craft Party on Thursdays! We pinned all your DIY'S! Hope to see you again tonight! www.diy-crush.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting technique you've come up with! Particularly for dealing with curves, I find. I also like the fabric "raw edge". It completes the look.
    Thank you for participating to my Fabric, Thread and Yarn link party. I wish you a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.